Tuesday, September 3, 2013

Local stagehands escape Silverdome with their lives

http://www.theoaklandpress.com/articles/2010/06/22/news/local_news/doc4c1fd417969fc357332898.txt




Local stagehands are calling it a miracle that no one died when the stage they were working on for a Saturday concert at the Silverdome collapsed.

“I had to dive off the stage to not get killed,” said one stagehand, who asked not to be identified. “I dove headfirst, landed about 7 feet under on the concrete, on my face.

“It was the scariest thing I’ve ever seen in my whole life.”

The man described looking up just in time to see the truss on the roof of the stage snap.

“I saw it coming down and I didn’t want to look back, I just dove,” he said. “I had to dive to avoid getting crushed.”

The local stagehands were hired to help set up for the Jai Ho concert featuring A.R. Rahman, the composer of “Slumdog Millionaire.”

Emergency responders from the Pontiac Fire Department were called to the Silverdome around 4:30 p.m. Saturday, before the show started.

The stagehand described the moments of terror as “like being in a dream and you try to run, but you can’t.”

Like many stagehands, he says he has always been aware that disasters like this can strike and now that it has, he’s pretty shaken up.

No comments:

Post a Comment